Monday, January 4, 2010

"Constitutional Law" vs. the Constitution

My soon-to-be brother-in-law is in law school and just completed a class in "Constitutional Law." The entire course was spent exploring SCOTUS opinions regarding the 14th amendment. Absolutely nothing else. He tells me there are no other required courses that cover the Constitution at all.

I'm told this is a common experience among law students. If these students aren't taught the basic principles enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, what hope is there that the majority will actually understand them? If lawyers don't even understand the Constitution, what hope is there that the People will? If the People don't really understand the Constitution, what hope is there that they'll elect representatives who do? This is how we end up with rulers rather than representatives...

1 comment:

  1. This is why I started the Constitutional Bureau of Endorsement. I wanted to learn and offer a place for others to do so where we could together discover what the original intent of the Founders was when they framed our federation. I know two lawyers in my own family who have had precisely the experience you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete